top of page
  • Writer's pictureLFS

What Is Required To Get A Freight Broker License In Canada

Freight Broker License In Canada

Becoming a freight broker in Canada is pretty much the same as being a freight broker in America. The job of connecting shippers and carriers to move freight is also the same. A Canadian freight broker will work daily with shippers and carriers who operate in Canada and connect the two together as the middle man. Canadian freight brokers will in many cases have the opportunity of moving the freight from Canada to America.

Being a freight broker or also known as property broker, transportation broker, shipping brokers, load brokers, and truck brokers have become the heart and soul of providing the goods for Canada and America today.

Canada and America continue to work together by shipping goods cross border to each Country and have been doing so since the beginning.

If you are located in Canada and are interested in how to get your freight broker license here are the basic requirements as stated by the National Transportation Brokers Association.

Canadian Licensing Requirements

As a result of a jurisdictional dispute between the Federal Government and the Province of New Brunswick, the Federal Government relegated the administration of inter-provincial and extra-provincial road transportation to the individual provinces affected.

The following provinces and territories do not regulate freight brokerage:


The following provinces do regulate freight brokerage:

ONTARIO: Effective January 1, 2006, Ontario Regulation 556/92 to the Truck Transportation Act and the Act itself are repealed.

One part of 556/92 has been retained in legislation and transferred to the Highway Traffic Act (HTA). Where the previous 556/92 required an application to obtain a Load Brokerage Certificate, the new addition to the HTA requires no such application or certificate, and will universally apply to all companies who broker freight “over-the-road” including motor carriers, warehousemen, customs brokers, freight forwarders, 3PLs and freight brokers.  556/92 of the HTA speaks mainly to the requirement that all parties who broker freight must maintain a trust account to hold monies payable to the carrier.

QUEBEC: Presently, the Commission des transports du Québec Section 332 requires that a “transport service intermediary” (any person who finds a carrier for the account of his client) register with the CTQ. Person can be a freight forwarder, a forwarding agent, a broker and so on, and corresponds to one of the following situations:

(1) concludes a contract in Québec (2) has a place of business, an office or a business address in Québec, a post office box or a telephone number (3) has a representative or an agent with a proxy to transact on her behalf in Québec (4) generally, acts in Québec for gain in the scope of professional or commercial activities

Legal Disclaimer: Information on this page has been compiled as accurately as possible. However, Logistical Forwarding Solutions and National Transportation Brokers Association, its Directors and/or Officers assume no liability whatsoever for its accuracy. Readers are advised to verify any information contained on this page before making any business decision.


bottom of page