top of page
  • Writer's pictureLFS

Foreign Commercial Driver License Requirements in the US: FAQs

Foreign Commercial Driver License requirements In The US

Foreign Commercial Driver License Requirements in the US: FAQs

This document provides answers to frequently asked questions about commercial and non-commercial driver license requirements for foreign drivers operating in the United States.


Commercial Driver Licenses (CDLs)

Which countries have CDL reciprocity with the US?

  • A1: Only Mexico (federal government) and Canada (provinces and territories) have CDL reciprocity agreements with the US.

  • Additional Information: In rare cases, temporary waivers or exemptions may be granted for drivers from other countries.

Do drivers residing in Mexico need a US CDL to work for a US company?

  • A2: No, a valid Mexican SCT (Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes) license is sufficient.

  • Clarification: Only the federal government-issued Mexican license (Licencia Federal de Conductor) is recognized for reciprocity in the US.

How is a medical restriction indicated on Canadian CDLs?

  • A3: Some Canadian provinces use code "W" on the license. Check the Canadian Driver's License Reference Guide for details.

  • Additional Information: Provinces without code W are working towards implementing it.

How is a medical restriction indicated on US CDLs?

  • A4: Code "V" is used for medical restrictions on US CDLs.

Do US drivers need a TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods) certificate for transporting hazardous materials (HM) in Canada?

  • A5: No, the US CDL HM endorsement is sufficient for transporting HM in Canada.

Non-Commercial Driver Licenses

Do Canadian drivers transporting large tanks need a tank vehicle endorsement on their license?

  • A6: No, a tank vehicle endorsement is not required for Canadian drivers. However, a TDG certificate is mandatory for transporting HM in a tank in the US.

What proof must Canadian drivers present to transport HM in the US?

  • A7: Canadian drivers must have a valid Canadian commercial license and a TDG certificate. Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Certificate:

  • Mandatory for anyone who handles, offers for transport, or transports dangerous goods in Canada.

  • Issued by employers after successful completion of TDG training.

  • Training covers regulations, safety procedures, emergency response, and specific requirements for different dangerous goods classes.


bottom of page